Oral Health During COVID-19:
Most families and communities have made staying healthy during the pandemic a priority; getting vaccinated and updating their immune system with booster shots. As such, your oral health is an essential component of your personal physiology and chemistry.
Here at Robert Marc Dental, our team understands your concerns, and are dedicated to supporting you stay on top of your health at home and at the dental practice.
Why You Must Maintain Your Oral Health During COVID-19
Individuals with pre-existing conditions or weakened immune systems are more at risk to contracting the virus, and experiencing its worst effects. Therefore, its important to monitor the situation with your overall health, as well as your dental needs.
The following issues highlight the need for greater oral care, specifically under these stressful conditions:
- 1 out of 4 Americans have untreated tooth decay/cavities
- Poor oral health can impact the accuracy of testing for COVID-19
- One in three adults have not been to the dentist in the last 12 months
- Diabetes and cardiovascular disease are the most frequent underlying co-morbidity factors in COVID-19 patients
- 50% of 6-8 year olds have dental caries
Good Habits at Home to Help Your Oral Health
- Brush twice a day, preferably with an electronic toothbrush, for 2-3 minutes at a time
- Applying the correct toothpaste—depending your requirements; ie; sensodyne; periodontax
- Floss before going to bed and before brushing
- Wash your hands with anti-bacterial gels, and hot water routinely, and limit touching your mouth
- Use recommended mouthwashes and eat a balanced diet to level the pH balance for your mouth
Aside from the above tips, all of our patients at Robert Marc Dental should disinfect their toothbrushes daily. Everyone should rinse the brush head for a few minutes with a .5% Hydrogen Peroxide solution. This application will combat the fact that the virus can live up to 3 days on surfaces, and reduce the risk of it spreading. Additionally, keeping the toothbrush covered, and changing the brush or head is also helpful. The more attention to the above will help reduce risk, and help your overall oral health.
Dental Checkups During COVID-19?
Here at Robert Marc Dental all of the staff members are doubly vaccinated, and we incorporate all the necessary precautions for further protection from the virus. Whether it’s gum discomfort or dental calculus, ignoring the beginning phases of the problem will increase the risk of more serious results, and treatments.
If you are planning to schedule a dental checkup, know that we take your health and safety very seriously and thus we have incorporated the following procedures:
- Minimal time spent in the office, especially in common areas/waiting room.
- The presence of hand sanitizers.
- The use of appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) by patients and staff.
- A contact-less credit card machine that minimizes touching surfaces and handling physical items.
- High-quality HVAC systems as well as filtration systems.
Here at Robert Marc Dental, we spent months making the necessary changes to keep you safe during your visits. Maintaining good oral health with dental cleaning procedures and oral screenings during COVID-19 has never looked better.
COVID-19 has impacted us all on some sort of level- socially, familial, financial, psychological etc., and oral care isn’t any different. However, with the right daily habits, and the correct approach with professional and emergency treatments, you can stay healthy.
For further tips on preventative and routine dental care during these odd times, Robert Marc Dental is here to help and answer any questions or concerns you or your family member may have. Contact us to schedule an appointment today!!